There are so many different types of liver diseases, all which come with their reasons for being inflicted on each person. Since there are so many variables, we’ve narrowed down a few quick and important facts we think everyone needs to know about liver disease.
1. Obesity is the leading cause of liver disease in the U.S. There is a stigma that drinking alcohol and using drugs is the leading cause of liver disease, but there are other things that come into play as well. A liver disease may even be genetic.
2. A healthy liver has the amazing ability to grow back, or regenerate when it is damaged. Anything that keeps your liver from doing its job – or from growing back after injury – may put your life in danger.
3. In the early stage of any liver disease, your liver may become inflamed. It may become tender and enlarged. Inflammation shows that your body is trying to fight an infection or heal an injury. But if the inflammation continues over time, it can start to hurt your liver permanently.
4. Liver failure means that your liver is losing or has lost all of its function. It is a life-threatening condition that demands urgent medical care. The first symptoms of liver failure are often nausea, loss of appetite, fatigue, and diarrhea. Because these symptoms can have any number of causes, it may be hard to tell that the liver is failing.
5. Whether your liver is infected with a virus, injured by chemicals, or under attack from your own immune system, the basic danger is the same – that your liver will become so damaged that it can no longer work to keep you alive. The important thing is to see your doctor before things that may seem minor can get worse!
Last updated on July 12th, 2022 at 12:53 pm