Andrea B.

Liver Transplant

I walked in my first Liver Life Walk just 6 weeks post-transplant. I was diagnosed with liver disease in February of 2010, after being sick for about 2 years. In May of 2011, after a visit to my gastroenterologist, I was told that I needed a liver transplant. I was referred to the University of Cincinnati to begin transplant evaluation. In November of 2011, I was put into Active Status on UNOS to wait for my life-saving transplant. During the next 18 months, we tried to live as normal a life as possible, while on a transplant list. The most difficult thing, besides the lack of energy, was staying an hour away from the hospital.

We became very involved in our church. We became small group leaders, and volunteered our time during weekly services. We were three weeks into leading a group on revival when I got the call to come to the hospital. That week, we were studying healing revivals. Some may say that it was ironic, but we knew that it was God’s perfect timing.

I received my call at around 11pm on Saturday, April 20, 2013. We arrived to the hospital a little after midnight. We got to my room, and began one final workup. I signed the consent, and waited for the final word. I didn’t sleep that night. I knew I’d have plenty of time to rest over the next few weeks. At around 11:30am on Sunday, April 21, 2013, I was wheeled to the operating room where I received my gift. The ultimate gift. I woke up on Monday morning asking for my husband. That day, I learned that my transplant had been the first split liver transplant in over a decade at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center. I received 75% of the donor liver, and a 15-month old little boy received the other 25%. Both of us are doing great today!

Last updated on July 11th, 2022 at 04:10 pm

cross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram