Recipe of the Month
Butternut and Granny Smith Apple Soup, with Cinnamon Mascarpone
Chef Nicola Mancini La Tavola Ristorante Waterbury, CT
- 1 (2 or 3 pounds) butternut squash, peeled and seeded
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Medium onion, chopped
- 6 Cups chicken stock
- 1 Cup leeks
- 2 Granny smith apples
- 2 Tablespoons honey
- Nutmeg to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Mascarpone Topping:
- ½ Cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ Teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 ounce whole milk
- Cut Squash into 1-inch chunks. In a large pot, melt butter. Add onions, leeks, and apples. Cook until translucent, about 8 minutes.
- Add squash and stock, bring to a simmer, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Blend with a blender or alternatively remove squash and apple chucks with slotted spoon and puree in a blender and return to the soup.
- Stir and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- For the mascarpone topping, combine all the ingredients and stir until fully incorporated.
- Serve in a bowl and top with a dollop of the cinnamon mascarpone.
Share this page