ALF Honors Veterans, Educates Public and Encourages Testing
There are over 20 million military veterans in the United States. They served our country to protect our liberties and keep the world safe.
Now the American Liver Foundation is working to keep them safe.
Did you know?
- U.S. veterans are three times more likely to have hepatitis C than the general population.
- …and five times more likely to develop liver cancer.
- One in fifteen vets struggles with substance abuse.
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease is on the rise among veterans due to increasing rates of diabetes and obesity.
- Veterans’ exposure to toxic chemicals and other pollutants makes them more likely to have liver problems.
If you’re a veteran, make sure that you know your risks and give your doctor your complete deployment history. Doing so will help to ensure that you always receive an accurate diagnosis and appropriate medical treatment.
If you have questions about liver disease, please call our National Toll-Free Helpline at 1-800-GO-LIVER.
The American Liver Foundation’s Veterans’ Initiative provides education and support services to veterans across America. We are proud to partner with veterans’ organizations to bring resources directly to those who need them.
This Veterans Day, and throughout the year, the American Liver Foundation is grateful to the men and women who have served and continue to serve. We thank them for their bravery and the sacrifices they have made.
Share this page